Finlandia’s Natural Beauty Department and Online Beauty Shop offers the best natural and organic cosmetics and beauty items available. Here, you will find organic makeup and skin care items, natural shampoos and conditioners, and an impressive array of body care products sourced locally and from overseas.Shop Now
Managed by Tanja, a long-time proponent of natural beauty care, our department carries only line that are free from parabens, phthalates, and other questions ingredients that could compromise health and well-being.
Tanja’s passion for studying natural skin care and making sure that the products we sell fall into her strict guidelines for purity and safety, ensures that any product you purchase will be both appropriate for your individual skin type and contains only ‘good for you ‘ ingredients.
What is the most important factor in helping my skin look younger?
Choose daily skin care products that include sun protection. They reduce the harmful effects of the UV light, which accelerate skin aging.
What is the best way of moisturizing my skin?
To keep the skin well moisturized, it is important to choose daily skin care products that balance the level of water within the skin (The dermis is made up of 70% water, and the epidermis, 15%). Be sure to drink plenty of water as it will help get rid of toxins in your body and keep your skin hydrated from the inside.
Is exfoliating the skin once or twice a week really important?
Yes. By removing the accumulation of dead skin cells, exfoliation supports product absorption, while smoothing and purifying the skin.
How do I protect my skin from free radicals?
By wearing a product that contains sunscreen and increasing your daily antioxidant intake. Do this by eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and taking Finlandia FinAstra Astaxanthin. It will help increase your skin’s defenses against free-radical damage.
What is the best way to nourish my skin?
(1) Foods that are rich in vitamin A will help maintain healthy skin. Since it is always best to obtain nutrients from the foods we eat, a varied diet, rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables will provide the body with most of the vitamins and minerals it needs for skin health and beauty. Eating foods rich in fibre will also contribute to a good complexion.
(2) Consuming enough protein is also important, as protein is essential for the proper growth and production of new skin cells.
(3) Eating lots of dark green leafy vegetables. These are a rich source of minerals (including iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium) and vitamins (including A, C, E, K and many of the B vitamins). They are also a minor source of omega-3 fatty acids. Dark green leafy vegetables also provide a variety of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect our cells from damage (and our eyes from age-related problems).
(4) Drinking lots of water. You need water to process and absorb nutrients from the foods you eat. Water is an essential part of the blood, helping it carry oxygen and vital nutrients to your cells. Water is also an important component of lymph, which helps carry toxins away from the cells. Together, the blood and lymph ensure that that your trillions of cells stay nourished and free from toxins, helping your whole body look and perform better.
(5) Taking healthy oils like borage, flax or fish oils. These help improve the skin’s barrier function, increase softness, and help remedy a number of skin conditions.
Do I really need a special product for around my eyes?
Yes. The delicate skin around the eyes is similar to the skin of the lips— it contains very few sebaceous and sweat glands, and therefore is more prone to wrinkling and sun damage. Since the skin around the eyes is also much thinner than that of other areas on the face, it should be strengthened and protected with targeted products.
What is the reason for thinning hair?
Hair loss in both women and men can be temporary or permanent. For temporary hair loss there are many underlying causes such as stress, hair styling (pony tails, weaves etc), and harsh chemicals, lack of nutrients and hormonal changes. Permanent hair loss is largely hereditary and believed primarily due to hormonal action. For healthy, strong hair at any age make sure your diet is rich in amino acids, the building blocks of keratin protein. The herb horsetail is rich in silica, another important building block of hair. The herbs rosemary and arnica are both known to promote circulation and strengthen hair follicles and should be part of a healthy hair program. Also, massaging your scalp every night with a suitable oil (such as rosemary), then washing off in the morning with a gentle shampoo will greatly enhance the quality of the hair. The herb saw palmetto is helpful for both male and females with androgenic alopecia (pattern baldness). However, this herb should never be used if you are pregnant or nursing.